Voted by Tatler Travel Guide as one of the 101 top holiday destinations in the world, Grootbos Private Nature Reserve lies less than two hours from Cape Town. This unique 5 star property is situated in a private nature reserve of 4000 acres overlooking the spectacular Walker Bay.
Here, nature-lovers enjoy a unique experience of the Cape's indigenous flora and fascinating mammal, marine and bird life. Between July and December enjoy the world's best land based whale watching or marvel at these ocean giants from a boat that glides within meters of the Southern Right whales.
Individual luxury suites beneath the overhang of milk woods provide privacy and supreme comfort. Soak up exquisite ocean and mountain views from your private deck and watch the sun slip into the Atlantic Ocean while listening to the sounds of nature that surround you.
In both the Forest & the Garden Lodge you can enjoy the finest cuisine, best wines and abundant hospitality while marvelling at the sweeping views across the bay to the distant Cape of Good Hope.
Luxury in Harmony with Nature sums up a truly unique experience in Africa's leading flora and marine reserve.
Grootbos is home to two exclusive 5 star sanctuaries - Garden Lodge and Forest Lodge.
Each free-standing suite is set in tranquil surroundings and comprises lounge with fireplace, bedroom(s), en suite bathroom and wooden deck with spectacular ocean views.
All rooms are equipped with extra length beds, 100% down duvets and cotton bedding, heated blankets in winter, a safe for valuables, tea/coffee station, & well-stocked mini-bar.
Bathrooms complete with double washbasins, double showers and/or baths, heated towel rails & hair dryers.
Related content: Grootbos’ Michael Lutzeyer – Open to Opportunity
- Garden Lodge with its tranquil gardens, meandering walkways and charming ponds has a more homely atmosphere with traditional decoration. The lodge is perfect for families.
- 11 spacious luxury suites
- Garden Lodge accepts children of all ages
- Last renovation: February 2006
- All suites with DSTV and telephone
- The design at Forest Lodge is sophisticated and contemporary. Decorated with clear lines, large windows, rich textures and warm colours, the Lodge is perfect for honeymooners and nature lovers.
- Forest Lodge re-opened in October 2006
- 16 stylishly furnished suites
- Bathrooms with outdoor showers & under floor heating.
- All suites with DSTV, telephone and Internet connection
- No children under 12
- World-class conference facilities
- Staff complement of 140 (guest - staff ratio 3:1)
- English and German spoken
- 160 km from Cape Town (approximately 2hours driving time)
- 1700 hectare Nature Reserve
- 715 plant species, 107 bird species
- home grown, organic food
- Luxury Accommodation
- Welcome Drink
- Buffet and Full English Breakfast
- Light Lunch Menu
- A la Carte Dinner
- Fresh Fruit Basket (daily)
- Guided walks and 4x4 drives through the reserve
- Horse riding
- Trips to the nearby coast to visit beaches and caves
- Guided land-based whale-watching (June to December)
- Transfer to the nearby harbour for boat-based activities
- Children's programmes
For current rates, specials and bookings, visit our website on www.grootbos.com
- Boat trips to Dyer Island to view the Marine Big5: Southern Right Whales (June to December), African Penguins, Cape Fur Seals, Great White Sharks, Dolphins
- Shark cage Diving
- Scenic flights
- Certified by Fair Trade in Tourism
- AA Travel Guides: Accommodation Awards, Gold Achiever
- Tatler Travel Guide
€” 101 Best Hotels in the World 2005, 2006, 2007
€” Best Family Hotel in the World 2006
- Imvelo Awards for responsible tourism
- Conde Nast Traveler's 2006 Green List
- The Iris Darnton Award: for International Nature Conservation
- British Airways: Tourism for Tomorrow Award
Children of all ages welcome at Garden Lodge (no children under 12 at Forest Lodge)
Our main children activities are:
- Pony rides in paddock.
- Horse riding on the reserve for kids older than 12.
- Treasure hunt in the Milkwood Forest.
- Half-day orienteering exercise/hike for kids over 12.
- Cave & Beach experience (explore smaller caves, swimming, sand castle building).
- Picnic lunch in cave/forest.
- Spot the bird/tree/flower etc.
- Kite-flying when wind allows it.
- Nursery Tour, learning to plant own seeds/cuttings etc.
- Videos/DVD's on bad weather days (animations and nature documentaries).
- Making an artistic representation of the day, using natural resources.
- Abseiling (stepped 33m steep slope) at waterfall in Afromontane Forest.
- Green Futures School (www.greenfutures.co.za)
- Spaces for Sport Soccer Project
- Faces of Need (Penguin nest Project)