Getting GPS co-ordinates:
All you need is a smartphone with built-in GPS. The first step is to select an app to log your GPS position to a file every few seconds while you ride, walk or run.
For Android phones, there are a number of a free and paid apps that work with your phone’s internal GPS to generate a track of your route which can then be exported as a GPX, KML, TCX or CSV file.
iPhone users also have a number of free and paid apps for GPS.
For Blackberry, the shareware app GPSLogger II is highly recommended. This app can log your progress at a set time interval and can be set to log track points at or above a preset speed (so that it doesn’t log your bathroom or snack breaks.)
Preparing your Trail Map
Sign in at Google Maps (or open an account if you don't have one, so you can save your maps).
Click on the menu and go to "Your Places". Then click on "My Maps". At the bottom of the menu, click on "Create Map".
Under "Untitled layer" (which you should give a name to) click on the Import link to upload your CSV, spreadsheet or KML file.
And you'll see your trail on the map.
Click on the 3 menu dots alongside the name to see further options, and click on "Embed on my site". You will get something like this: <iframe src="/https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/1/embed?mid=16cqn0xmGgdQEDjMP7b4qFXI_MUk" width="640" height="480"></iframe>. Select only the URL and paste it into the Trailmap box on your CapeInfo submission.
Adding trails is free. All you need to do is register on CapeInfo and log in with the username and password you chose.
You will need the following:
- A GPS log of the route the trail takes. (There is more on that in the next article.)
- Compulsory: You need to create a map with that log showing your route. This is very easy to do and only takes a few minutes. (More in the next article.)
- You need photographs and maybe a video of the trail.
- And you need a very detailed description of the route.
- And then basic information regarding the length, the difficulty level, permits (if applicable), etc.
Submissions which are just thrown together with too little information will be deleted.
You can come back later and improve your page by adding/changing images and adding more content.