Garden Route Trail is a fully inclusive slackpacking coastal hike between Wilderness and Brenton on Sea in the Garden Route.
The route and itierary of the Garden Route Trail coastal hike has been has been compiled to showcase the ecological diversity of the Garden Route. With expert guide, Mark Dixon, you will learn about forest and marine ecology while exploring the heart of the Garden Route on foot.
- Day 1 : 5Km forest walk, 6km wetland canoe, Guests meet at the Wilderness Ebb & Flow rest camp for registration. Activities start with a canoe trip and walk following the Touw River through indigenous forest for lunch alongside the river. Returning to the canoes, guests take a meandering canoe trip birding before returning to the rest camp for the evening. Dinner is prepared by your guide.
- Day 2 : 16Km beach walk. On the second day, after breakfast, guests are collected by a local taxi and driven to Kleinkrans from where the days walks starts. The trail passes rock pools which can be explored at low tide and tracts of washed up sea shells along some of South Africa's most pristine and secluded golden beaches. 800m before reaching your accommodation you are ferried across the Kingfisher Creek in a row boat when the mouth is open. Dinner is prepared by your guide.
- Day 3 :12km beach walk, 3km dune fynbos and forest walk. After breakfast you start off on a 12km beach walk with plenty opportunities to swim in the surf before leaving the beach after Skimmelkrans in Goukamma Nature Reserve and traversing vegetated dunes to Goukamma River. Crossing the river on a pont you reach your accommodation in thatched rondavels where you over night for two nights. Dinner is a Potjie.
- Day 4 : 3 hour Birding canoe, 8km dune and beach circuit. After breakfast the group canoes up the Goukamma River looking for African Fish Eagles and Spotted Eagle Owls for the morning. For the afternoon you walk to the top of a vegetated dune en route to the beach and the mouth of the river to terns and seabirds. Dinner is a meal of seafood to round off the day.
- Day 5 : Relaxed start, 8km walk, reflective drink, shuttle back to Wilderness. Guests enjoy relaxed breakfast followed by a 8km walk to Brenton on Sea where you can enjoy an optional lunch or beverage before being transported back to Wilderness.
Start Dates : The trails are conducted over the full moon and new moon spring tides so that the beach stages are walked on firm sand at low tide. A full list of our recommended start dates are available on our website.
Cost : The cost of the trail is scaled according to the number of guests on the trail and range from R6900.00 to R8200.00/person sharing.
- 4 nights accommodation
- All catering on the trail
- Luggage logistics betwen venues. You don't have to carry a heavy pack while hiking.
- Full time scientific guide
- 2 canoe satges
- Shuttle services along the route.
Reservations : eMail Mark to make a reservation.
Group size : We host between 2 and 12 guests on a trail.
Catering : All meals on the healthy fresh prepared meals. We do also facilitate the following options :
- Gluten Free
Optional extras :
- Pre trail accommodation in the first nights accommodation.
- Post trail accommodation.
- Airport shuttle to Wilderness
- Return shuttle to the airport at the end of the trail.