This breathtakingly beautiful farm is situated just outside the historical town of Swellendam (the third oldest town in South Africa) in a lush green valley bordering the foothills of the majestic Langeberg Mountain.
The setting is simply idyllic, with stunning views of the mountain, green pastures where cattle and horses graze, a serene spring-fed lake, and the lovely Buffeljags River which runs the length of the farm.
The farm has ownership rights to a few thousand hectares of pristine mountain ground with trails through indigenous forest and fynbos to magical mountain valleys, waterfalls and rock pools.
This truly is a paradise for all.
"I think it is one of the most idyllic places I have yet discovered... it is a piece of paradise right in our back yard." (CEO Cape Town Tourism, Nov 2007)
“Perfect where the road ends…….. owner Dion Wright has ticked all the right boxes when it comes to creating my perfect country escape…..” (Sunday Times review of Somerset Gift Getaway farm by Richard Holmes, 3 February 2013)
Somerset Gift Getaway farm has four charming self-catering accommodation options, Fish Eagle lodge, Rose cottage, Loerie cottage and Olive cottage. The cottages are tastefully appointed with Cape cottage furniture, set about 50m apart and staggered for privacy so individually private yet close enough to be convenient for group bookings.
The accommodation is extremely spacious and designed to take advantage of the magnificent settings with large outside undercover furnished living areas for all weather comfort. All the cottages have manicured gardens with large open grassy areas for the kids to play.
The ‘Bushbuck pub’ is set on the water where guests can socialise, watch a game of rugby or cricket while keeping an eye on the kids swimming, fishing, canoeing and having fun on the zip line. The ’Bushbuck’ can seat 24 at mealtimes so it is a great place for large groups to get together on the farm. Please note; I do not sell alcohol.
Somerset Gift can accommodate a maximum of 25 guests…. however for a group booking of adults/couples that do not want to sleep more than 2 per room, the numbers will be limited to 18.
Somerset Gift Getaway farm really does have something for everyone, whether you just want to relax at your cottage with friends and soak up the magnificent setting from your patio, partake in the multitude of activities on your cottage doorstep or venture into the mountain or down the river and explore this unspoilt natural treasure.
- Swimming in the pristine spring water lake on your doorstep, in the river and in stunning mountain pools.
- Canoeing in the lake and river, paddle down to the Buffeljags dam (4km each way). Canoes are available free of charge.
- Kiddies playground with trampoline, swings and jungle gym and mini foefie slide.
- Foefie slide (Zip line) - a real hit with moms, dads and kids! Awesome fun ending in the spring lake.
- Fishing for young kids - kiddies dam (bluegill and bream), your kids will haul them out!
- Fishing - Bass (small and largemouth) fishing in the lake and river for the more serious fisherman.
- Walks through glorious indigenous forest along the river to waterfalls and deep mountain pools.
- Private hiking trails in the LangebergMountains to waterfalls and stunning mountain pools.
- Bird watching - incredible birdlife including Fish Eagle, King Fisher, various Duck, Paradise Flycatcher, Buzzard and so much more.
- Waterskiing and boating on the Buffeljags Dam - bring your own boat, Somerset Gift is the first farm above the dam and 4km from the slipway. There is a minimal launching fee, please enquire when placing your booking.
- Mountain biking trail to Grootkloof (8km return - technical), or a gentle ride on the numerous scenic farm roads.
- DSTV, The "Bushbuck" Pub on the water for guests to enjoy current sporting events.
- Yoga and pilates, we have a beautiful studio where guests can enjoy yoga and pilates classes (additional fee – please enquire, subject to availability)
- Sunset cruises on the picturesque Buffeljags Dam can be arranged (additional fee – please enquire when placing your booking).
- Horse riding can be arranged nearby (additional fee – please enquire when placing your booking).
- Restaurants, Swellendam has a multitude of restaurants, I can recommend the following: the Old Gaol is great for families with kids, Field and Fork for fine dining, La Sosta (Italian, fine dining), Tredicci, trendy chic, Woodpecker for pizzas.
- Golf and other attractions - the farm is in easy reach of tourist attractions like Swellendam (golf course), Marloth Nature Reserve, Barrydale, Witsand, BontebokNational Park and De Hoop Nature Reserve.